April 22 was Earth Day when our thoughts turned to Mother Nature and the Earth’s fertility. We cared for something larger than ourselves and we’re reminded every day could be Earth Day. April 22 to 28 is National Infertility Awareness Week, an opportunity to join together with others living with infertility and help care for each other. Groups like RESOLVE seek to create awareness of the disease through various public events and announcements. Fertility Within Reach wholeheartedly supports these public efforts and we encourage you to get involved. We believe you can also directly take action, caring for yourself and your health care every day.
Here are a few ideas on how you can take action for yourself and help others:
- Step out of your comfort zone and reach out to someone new. You may find you are surrounded by support and gain some peace while you’re at it.
- Ask your fertility specialist to host a quarterly seminar about infertility and treatment options
- Write an editorial in your local newspaper
- Post a fact or share supportive articles about Infertility via Twitter, Facebook or other social media. See our RSS feed for some great articles.
- Ask a friend or family member with Infertility “How can I support you?”
- Ask your church, temple or synagogue to be sensitive to the 1 in 6 infertile couples, especially as holidays approach
- Write a letter to your legislator, insurer, employer explaining why Infertility should be covered by health insurance benefits. If you don’t educate them, who will? Empower Yourself!
We know many of you are already living as if every day is Advocacy Day. Tell us what options and suggestions you recommend.
The more we share, the more we discuss, the more we help bring about change, making every day Advocacy Day.
Trackback from your site.