The disease of infertility is more than a condition resulting in emotional disappointment. There is a serious global impact associated with fertility decline. Utilizing studies can help educate others about infertility and clarify common misconceptions.
- Infertility affects approximately 1 in 6 couples.
- The CDC says 12% of women experience infertility.
(Source:American Society of Reproductive Medicine and Center of Disease Control)
- The UN World Fertility Report found, in 59 countries, fertility is below 2.1 children per woman, the level required to ensure replacement of generations in low mortality populations. Governments reported having policies designed to raise fertility.
(Source: UN World Fertility Report 2007)
- The American Medical Association has recognized infertility as a disease.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has indicated, besides cancer and heart conditions, infertility is currently the third most threatening disease all around the globe.
(Source: WHO Bulletin 2010)
Fertility Within Reach’s PowerPoint: Economic and Global Impact of Fertility Decline